Saturday 22 November 2014

How to Speed-Read on iPad

How do I read eBooks?

For many years, I've avoided reading eBooks, simply because I didn't enjoy the experience. If you feel the same, continue reading, and find out how I conquered this.

I would consider myself a speed reader, but not a professional one. One of the most popular methods of speed reading is dragging your finger below the text, creating a path for your brain to read. With eBooks, you can't do that anymore. If you try following the words with your finger, you will probably accidentally turn the page over. This is a real pain for readers, as it takes away the ability to speed read on eBooks.

So, I decided, I'm going to train myself to speed read the iTunes Book of the Week. So I forced myself to read it. I had to read slowly, because I could not drag my finger below the text. So, I had a bright idea...

I took an old stylus from another iPad, and turned it upside down, so that the metallic part touched the screen. This metallic part does not have any effect on the screen, and does not accidentally turn pages. I decided to use this old stylus as my "speed reading" finger. I dragged the back end of the stylus below the text, and found that I could read so much faster. 
         
Use the metal end of the stylus to read faster.


I believe that this could help tonnes of people who have avoided reading eBooks in the past, for the very same reason as me. So, just give it a try, as silly as it sounds. Take the back end of a pencil, something that won't damage the screen, and drag it beneath the text you are reading. You will read up to twice as fast, hopefully.

If my solution worked, leave a comment below. 


Don't forget to come back next week Saturday for an all new blog post. I'm also hoping to create a new blog, with app reviews, so follow me on Google plus for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment